Did you know that with a little planning you can be a millionaire? It’s true. In Tom Corley’s book Rich Habits, he’s outlined the results of his years of study of the most common millionaire behaviors. What’s exciting to see is that planning (including career planning) is one of these wealth-building habits. But Corley’s millionaires are not the only wealthy success stories that result from career planning.
A study of Harvard MBA students regarding their career success as it relates to goal setting, proved that having clearly articulated, measurable and written goals leads to success. The study, cited by Ashley Feinstein Gerstley, C.E.O. of The Fiscal Femme, demonstrated that the 3% of the MBA students who had written down clear goals for their future “were earning, on average 10 times as much as the other 97% of the class combined!” If that isn’t enough to inspire goal planning then I don’t know what is.
So how do you develop a career plan that builds wealth? Start by determining where you want to be the end of next year then work backwards, looking at how you can break down that big goal into smaller, more reachable, yet exciting monthly goals. Once the plan is designed, keep working on it in, stay strong when you face setbacks and don’t ever lose your momentum.
But before you start cashing in your millions, take some time to put pen to paper and answer the following questions.
1. Where do you want to be professionally, and financially, by the end of this year?
2. Are you positioning yourself to take advantage of key opportunities?
3. Have you been building your network and nurturing it in a way that’s mutually beneficial?
4. Are you focusing on what’s essential or getting sidetracked by busy work and emotional set-backs?
5. Do your goals inspire you to take action and what daily motivation is required to keep your momentum up?
6. What specifically do you need to do to achieve them?
7. What do you need to let go of that is standing in your way or not serving you anymore?
8. Who can help you start on your goals and stay on track with accountability and honest feedback?
9. Who can you work with to keep you motivated and positively inspired?
10. How can you enjoy the journey?
How to Be Career Happy? Build Your Wealth With a Success-Infused Career Plan
I hope this article provided you with a few applicable ideas for success. I would be honored if you shared this on social media. And speaking of sharing, please share your own ideas and experiences below. Together, we can build a happier career community.
Photo Source: Photodune